Tuesday 16 September 2014

Farewell my summer love

To be fair, the last fortnight has felt like borrowed time.

In our little corner of north-east Scotland, we've recently enjoyed some lovely sunny days.  They're not like the genuinely toasty days we experienced in July though.  These early September days have started out with morning haze and shivers in sweatshirts before the sun gets up to speed and we cast off the layers by late morning.

I always feel a little nostalgic at this time of year.  Forgive me then, while I indulge myself by clinging onto the best sights, smells and sounds of summer in this mid-September post.  Because for me, these are what summer's all about...


The sights

Sun sparkling on the sea, gardens at their most colourful, bright clothing contrasting with conker-brown limbs...

The smells

Cocoa butter soaked skin, salty freshness after a day at the beach, mouth watering wafts of early evening chargrilling...

The sounds

Children's al fresco play peppered with giggles and laughter, ice cubes jangling in frosted tumblers, the unmistakeable 'thwack' of flip flops on patios...

*******************

It doesn't do to get too remorseful, however. In the interests of balance, let's not forget about the sad sight of the parched plants you forgot to water, the city's pongy drains in the midday heat and the predictable drone of lawnmowers whenever you attempt to open your paperback...

Suddenly autumn doesn't seem so bad. (I'm thinking golden landscapes, cosy roll-necks and warming fruit crumbles.) Whaddya reckon?

Enjoyed this article? Why not like Average and Proud on facebook or follow me on Twitter?

3 comments:

  1. Ha yes...I fear summer is almost at a close as the heating went on albeit briefly last night to take away the chill...never mind I'm sure we can still have Pimms as I'm sure we haven't had any this summer:0( xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love summer and now its nearly over i look forward to film nights and as you say hot puddings :) I love Autumn best for running though so maybe i can run more now !?! lovely picture ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post reflecting on the summer :) I love the smell of Autumn, then the snuggley feeling of Winter, the new of Spring and then back to Summer again! Thank you for linking to PoCoLo :) x

    ReplyDelete